Despite a ban on the international trade in ivory, African elephants are still being poached in large numbers. Tens of thousands of elephants are being killed every year for their ivory tusks. The ivory is often carved into ornaments and jewellery – China is the biggest consumer market for such products.
The ban on international trade was introduced in 1989 by CITES (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora) after years of unprecedented poaching. In the 1980s, an estimated 100,000 elephants were being killed per year and up to 80% of herds were lost in some regions.
The ban allowed some populations to recover, especially where elephants were adequately protected.
But there has been an upsurge in poaching and illegal ivory trafficking in recent years, driven by increasing demand in Asia, which has led to steep declines in forest elephant numbers and some savannah elephant populations.
Elephant numbers have dropped by 62% over the last decade, and they could be mostly extinct by the end of the next decade
AN ESTIMATED 100 AFRICAN ELEPHANTS ARE BRUTALLY SLAUGHTERED EACH DAY BY POACHERS SEEKING IVORY.
The ivory trade is a complicated issue and most trade is illegal. Still, you can find ivory in markets around Africa and Asia, and even in the US and Europe.
URGENT SUPPORT AND ACTION IS NEEDED FROM YOU TODAY. LET'S MAKE A DIFFERENCE AND SAVE OUR ELEPHANTS.
WHY WE SHOULD PROTECT ELEPHANTS?
AT THE CURRENT RATE THE AFRICAN ELEPHANT WILL BE EXTINCT IN 11 YEARS. WE NEED YOUR HELP TO END THIS!
FOR EACH SAVE OUR ELEPHANTS SHORTS SOLD, WE DONATE DIRECTLY TO ELEPHANT CHARITIES ACROSS AFRICA.
THIS WILL GO TOWARDS:
- Securing a future for elephants and work to sustain the areas in which they live
- Creating a sustainable future for elephants by supporting “conservation, education, research and management programs worldwide
- Working with community members to help take care of the elephants
URGENT SUPPORT AND ACTION IS NEEDED FROM YOU TODAY. LET'S MAKE A DIFFERENCE AND SAVE OUR ELEPHANTS. EACH PAIR OF SHORTS WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE.
• 96% polyester, 4% elastane (fabric composition may vary by 2%)
• Fabric weight: 5 oz/yd² (169.5 g/m²)
• Four-way stretch water-repellent microfiber fabric
• 6.5’’ inseam
• Elastic waistband with a flat white drawstring
• Mesh side pockets
• Blank product components in Mexico sourced from China and Mexico
• Blank product components in the EU sourced from China and Lithuania
|Waist (inches)||29 ⅞||31 ½||33 ⅛||36 ¼||39 ⅜||42 ½||45 ⅝|
|Hips (inches)||37||38 ⅝||40 ⅛||43 ¼||46 ½||49 ⅝||52 ¾|